The Villa on Mount Pleasant

Lifestyle, vintage home and decorative crafts...

Sunday 3 April 2016

Dining Room Progress




Hello everyone!

I hope you are having a lovely weekend.  

I have been on a DIY mission, and I have the sore back to prove it!  It can be very easy, when working on a house renovation or re-decoration, to become completely overwhelmed with the tasks ahead.  With the weekend stretching out ahead of me, last Friday I got into a mini panic.  How best shall I use the time?  How can I get this all done on my own?  If I don't get that job done tomorrow, when will I next get time to do it?  When this happens, I find the best thing to do is to pull myself together,  cut myself some slack, and throw myself full throttle into the project.  Which is exactly what I did yesterday!  I managed to sand the stairs in my bedroom that lead up to my attic, and start painting them.  They were covered in dark brown varnish , so it was a big challenge to turn them from something dark and dated into something light and bright.  The second thing I did was start planting some shrubs in the front garden.  Over the past couple of weeks, I've been sieving out the weeds, stones and rubbish from the soil, occasionally with the help of my daughter.  Gradually we've been turning it into something that might actually support plant life.  Pictures of both these projects will come shortly!

In the meantime, here are some snaps of the wall in my dining room that is finally finished, thanks to my Dad making a gorgeous little pallet wood cupboard to hide the electricity meter.  I've tried looking for pictures of this wall to show you how it was when I moved in, but it seems that I very purposefully avoided photographing it!  The old radiator was hanging off the wall, and when it was removed, there was a big hole in the old plaster.  To give you an idea, here's a picture from when the floor was replaced - 

Bit of an improvement now!  I did the painting above the radiator myself, and I'm now on the lookout for a couple of other little pictures to complete my little gallery.  I love this wall now - it's light, bright and beautiful.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, I look forward to sharing some snaps of my DIY projects from the weekend this week!

Tamsyn x
Share:

4 comments

  1. Looks lovely, so bright and airy. Love all the pastel colours... keep up the good work

    All things nice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment!

      Delete
  2. This looks so lovely, and exactly like you! I'm amazed at the changes you've made in this home. No one would ever guess, looking at this, what a mess it was when you got it. It's the poster child for what can be done with creativity, HARD work, and careful planning. So very inspiring!!! I'm stunned to think of you sifting the soil, you are just amazing (and very strong).
    Also, I just wanted to show you this, because I thought of you as soon as I saw it!
    http://www.country-vintage.co.uk/view/1957-christmas-swans-biscuit-tin-/
    Thank you so much for your continued inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Emily, thank you so much for your lovely comment, you have made my day, and brought a tear to my eye! Thank you you so much for your kind words. And I love that tin!! I think I need to make a wee purchase! Best wishes, Tamsyn x

      Delete

© The Villa on Mount Pleasant | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig